Thursday, August 4, 2011

XI. My Realities

            There are few barriers that exist within my school district that impede the characteristics articulated above.  I would say that (as with all school systems) money is probably the number one issue within my district.  Happily, I would have to say that money (or the lack thereof) hasn’t affected my district much at all.  While we are certainly not rich and we have definitely had to tighten the purse strings, I feel very lucky that we are where we are ($11 million surplus this year).  I know that as stimulus money dries up and expenses raise, this might not always be the case.  Yet, we have money to repair our schools, the buildings themselves are in good shape (even though the NEWEST one is over 30 years old and the OLDEST is over 100 years old), the community cares about education and with exception of a few rough years in the late nineties they have always supported our school levies.  This exercise has helped to remind me how lucky I and to not complain when I have to turn off a light or get rid of a microwave to save money. 

1 comment:

  1. Kathy,
    It is wonderful to hear that a school is in that kind of financial shape right now! I wonder if your community realizes how "well off" they are right now?

    ReplyDelete