Thursday, August 4, 2011

Thoughts While Working On My Homework

     The last couple of days have brought me to the public library to do my homework.  I have both Wifi and airconditioning at home, but I find that I am easily distracted by two cats (especially the one that was PURCHASED...don't ever do this...it's not as good as it sounds:), the television and other distractions that I can avoid by going to the library.  Two days ago, I noticed a gentleman and a lady, both around their late 20's, taking a nap in two chairs near the back of the library.  Upon further inspection, I  noticed that they had 3 or 4 Wal-Mart bags with them and a small cylindrical package that said "summer dome tent" on it.  The lady was wearing slipper-type shoes and had glasses with frames that looked fairly new and seemed well-kept even though she was wearing clothes that were more appropriate for fall (including a pair of sweat pants).  The gentleman had on lace-up ankle shoes that I would also equate with fall, jeans and a t-shirt.  He looked a little less put together than the lady, but still looked fairly presentable and clean shaven.  They napped most of the time that I was there, so honestly I didn't pay much attention to them after I first noticed them.
     Yesterday, I went to the library again and I noticed that they were there.    This time they were playing checkers against each other at a table.  Again, I noticed their packages stuffed neatly under a chair just a few feet away from them.  Later, I noticed that the lady had a piece of paper in her hand and was actively doing something in the library (possibly some type of job hunting, etc.).
     I know that the situation above happens frequently (unfortunately probably more now than ever) and I don't blame this couple for using their resources to be cool and comfortable on these hot uncomfortable days.  I guess I was just a little taken aback that these folks were in my small town library and it didn't seem like anyone (including me) was noticing that they might need help.  Maybe they actually aren't homeless or don't want help, but it just got me thinking about life and how things come to be.
     I'm not sure if this couple is going to be at the library again (I have escaped to Ruby Tuesdays today since they also have Wifi and I had a lunch meeting first), but I think if they are around again I'm going to take it upon myself to say something to them to see if they need help.
     And, I probably won't thank them personally, but I did want to thank them publicly for reminding me how lucky I really am.  And also reminding me that even though I assume that all of my students have a bed to sleep in, someplace to wash clothes and 3 good meals a day, that that isn't always the situation even in my middle-class hometown. And, finally, to push myself to take risks to reach out to those who might be in need even if it's uncomfortable for me to do.
    Thanks...and now back to the homework....

1 comment:

  1. Well, Kathy, I don't look around and stop and think nearly as much as I should what someone next to me is going through. I do know that often when I get wrapped in my 'problems', God plants these little angels right in front of me. My problems don't amount to much when I consider all I do have. Thanks for sharing...I think I haven't been looking around enough lately.

    ReplyDelete